FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why does McCall need the Ponderosa Center?
- The Ponderosa Center will maximize the benefits of arts, education, networking and cultural opportunities to the people and guests of our community through robust, multi-faceted programming and events, contributing to the health and success of our community
- McCall does not presently have a large venue for performances, meetings and social gatherings.
- The construction of a community gathering space, including a performance space, has long been envisioned by many local groups and individuals.
- Ponderosa Center will provide a central gathering place for the community
- The Ponderosa Center, through introducing conference business on a larger scale to the McCall area, will bring a concept of “predictability” to our current seasonal fluctuations. The lead time in booking conferences takes some of the guess work out of business planning and forecasting the future.
What is the estimated cost of the project?
- The Board of Directors and Campaign Cabinet have set internal fundraising goals to reach our Capital Campaign goal of $20M
- McAlvain Construction of Boise, ID has reviewed the plans to assist with these estimates through value engineering.
Where will the Ponderosa Center be built?
- The Center is located in the heart of downtown McCall providing easy access to shopping, dining and the shores of Payette Lake.
- The site is private, undeveloped property in the core of downtown McCall at the corner of Railroad Avenue and Pine Street.
- Preserving the use of the property for the community, as a public gathering space, ensures that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the unparalleled scenery that is in view from the site.
Who will use the Ponderosa Center?
Everyone! The Ponderosa Center is a versatile and flexible space that can provide a venue for all types of groups and their functions. Schools, theater groups, non-profit organizations, educational institutions, film festivals, associations, local, state and federal government agencies, healthcare providers, regional corporations, West Central Mountain residents and visitors.
What will Ponderosa Center look like?
- Presently there are only artist’s renderings, however the design will be in keeping with overall McCall designs and approved by McCall Planning and Zoning.
- It will be in scale with Hotel McCall and will not block neighbors’ views of the lake. It will be below the maximum height limit of McCall building codes.
- The building design aims to both, take advantage of and preserve the view of the lake for the community to enjoy.
Are there be enough hotel rooms in McCall to house a large number of visitors?
- According to the McCall Area Chamber of Commerce there are presently 460 hotel rooms, 344 vacation rentals for a total of 4,429 “pillows.”
- McCall hotel owners and property managers are enthusiastic about the addition of a conference center to fill in the “gaps” of lodging seasonality.
- There’s good indication from other local businesses that there is desire from organizations to make McCall its conference destination, but choose elsewhere due to lack of larger gathering spaces.
How will parking for the venue be handled?
- The Ponderosa Center has developed a comprehensive approach to parking and transportation during events at the Center.
- Event goers will have the options of on-site parking, valet parking, and shuttles to closely located designated parking areas.
- The Ponderosa Center will develop approximately 45 parking spaces on site.
- There are 145 public parking spaces within one block from the Center.
- Transportation and parking are being addressed community wide by the City of McCall.
Who will manage Ponderosa Center?
- The Ponderosa Center Board of Directors
- The plans include several, year-round, full-time positions to collectively manage the day to day operations.
- Other vital services will be provided on a contract basis including catering, technical and other event related services.
Is the Ponderosa Center financially sustainable?
- A Sustainability Plan has been created that includes revenue from facility rental, sponsorship, grants, a membership program, a Sustainability Fund and Legacy Fund.
- The Sustainability Fund and the Legacy Fund, funds raised as part of the initial capital campaign, will provide sustainability resources and allow for usage of the facility at a reduced cost to the local organizations that we are committed to servicing.
Will Ponderosa Center change the small-town feel of McCall?
The small town charm, historic buildings, and unparalleled scenic beauty will not change, but the future direction of McCall could be less desirable without thoughtful input from our community. Idaho is growing- more people, more homes, more activity. We believe it is better to direct the growth to something that will benefit the community, than to have a group that is independent of our community, build what they think is best for us. A central gathering place, with the benefit of a space for performances is a vital piece of the puzzle for McCall. There is not a space in the community that can accommodate this need that already exists. It will offer local families and visitors inspiring experiences through arts & education, cultural offerings and preservation of our community’s legacy. The Ponderosa Center will be a positive addition to our community.
How can I donate to Ponderosa Center?
Ponderosa Center is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation. Tax-deductible donations may be made to Ponderosa Center, Inc. at any time. Donations of stock and other financial instruments are also accepted. A donor commitment form is available and there are opportunities to name the building, the auditorium or conference center as well as smaller spaces.
Click here to learn more or donate today! www.ponderosacenter.org/get-involved/